Monday, December 16, 2013

Tis the Season

Yesterday was just an amazing day at church. One of the things that happened was "The Decorating of the Christmas Tree" ceremony. What happens during this each family comes up and gets an ornament and puts it on the Christmas tree. To me this symbolizes the coming together of many family to make one big family and that's what we are. We are family. And the most amazing part is we're part of a bigger FAMILY. God's family!

Into our singing of praise to God, Mr. George Darling said something powerful. He said that today's society use forms of the word awe too much. Like the word awesome. The definition of awe is "a strong feeling of fear or respect and also wonder"  There is a song called "I Stand in Awe" The words are very beautiful. 
"You are beautiful beyond description. Too marvelous for words. Too wonderful for comprehension. Like nothing ever seen or heard. Who can grasp Your infinite wisdom? Who can fathom the depths of Your love? You are beautiful beyond description. Majesty enthroned above. And I stand I stand in awe of You. I stand I stand in awe of You. Holy God to whom all praise is due. I stand in awe of You" 

You can't say the words about anyone or anything else. I had a bf back in high school and one of the reasons he really caught my attention was one night we were at his church and he said "You shouldn't say the word "Awesome" unless you are talking about God." These words have stuck with me since then. Now I'm just as guilty as anyone else but this song really made me think. 


Then our Communion was great too. David Waters talked about sacrifices. He said that everyone has had to make a sacrifice. Some may have had someone or something taken away. I immediately thought about myself. ( HOW selfish, right) Then he talked about what he and his wife went through losing babies. Then he talked about how God gave his only son to save us. How many of us could do that? I know I wouldn't be able to. David gave us time to talk to God ourselves and I just prayed to God thanking him for my disease. Because of my disease it has brought me back closer to Him. I think it was all part of God's plan to get me back to Him.


Next, was the sermon. Sid asked a few people what was their most memorable Christmas gift and why. This young boy, named Erik, came up and said his most memorable was a bicycle. Then Mrs. Monroe came up and told her story about how she didn't get the bike she wanted. But later her parents gave her beat up, old, ugly bicycle. The next part Mrs. Monroe said was "We are NOT victims, but we are survivors." God just kept sending little blessings my way yesterday. Do you know how bad I needed to hear this. So many times I have played the "victim card".
OH poor pitiful me. But I need to embrace the fact that I'm still here. I'm a survivor! 


Finally, we need to remember the real reason for Christmas. "Jesus is the reason for the season."

I want to share some lyrics from the song I sang at church last night. It's called "What Child is This?" by Carried Underwood. 
"The King of Kings salvation brings. Let loving hearts enthrone Him. Raise, Raise the Son on high. The virgin sings her lullaby. Joy, Joy for Christ is born The Babe, the Son of Mary"
Back to what David said God sacrificed his ONLY son to bring us salvation! I serve an AWESOME God, who loves me unconditionally! 

No comments:

Post a Comment